Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rebel Rebel: Jury Duty, Part Two

I got up today in a better mood, ready to get this whole thing over with. I dressed slightly more conventionally, but still in typical V style. (God forbid I show up looking like anyone else there: in this and every other situation.) I had my laptop with me, but thankfully, there wasn't much downtime today. After about 20 minutes or so, I was called to be part of the next panel for jury selection. Something else I forgot to mention yesterday, in conjunction with the whole "lack of following directions" observation: we were always instructed to say "here" in a loud, clear voice when called to go stand/sit in a group. Still, though, some people insisted on not bothering to say "here"--they'd just stand up and walk to the group, prompting the clerk to repeat their name. Really? Is it really that difficult to say "HERE" when you hear your name? Is it really that difficult to LISTEN for your name? Sometimes people would have to hear it twice to realize what was happening. God, people. Get with it.

Anyway, we had to write the room number of the courtroom on our ID cards, and were given Juror Handbooks. Led by a clerk, we went across the street to the actual courthouse (why "central jury" and the courtrooms are not in the same building, I'll never know), and went up to the 6th floor. We waited there for a few minutes, and then were told to go back down to the 5th floor. (Do you see how pointless all of this moving around tends to be?) We entered the room and were told that 16 of us were going to be chosen to be in the actual jury box. Guess whose name was called last?

There was a LOT of questioning by the judge, during which it was revealed that at least two people in the room didn't fully understand English. Now, there were many opportunities before that moment to mention that little tidbit to...anyone who could have gotten these people out of serving, but I guess if you don't understand what's going on, there's no way to tell anyone. Also, if you don't understand, it's embarassing to try to explain that so late in the game. Probably you feel like you should have said something before, and rightly so. I guess they all just thought they'd try to squeak by. But no dice--the judge dismissed two women before we had a full prospective English-speaking jury. Many more questions followed--who has served on a jury before, have any of you been a victim of a crime, do you have children, married, single, etc. In front of everyone, too. And some of this stuff was bordering on personal.

Then the lawyers made their opening statements. Now, all along, while everyone was asking (in thirteen different ways) if each of us was capable of providing a fair judgement, I kept thinking, "Maybe I should say something. Maybe I should say something." You see, the case had to do with a man who was accused of violating a restraining order by hitting a woman he used to be in a relationship with. He was right there in the room with us. And while I didn't feel particularly emotional about it, per se, I have had experience with a restraining order as a result of domestic violence. At the last minute, I decided to tell the defense lawyer about this. She asked if anyone had seen or been a part of a messy divorce that ended with the courts being involved, and I raised my hand. I just felt like it would have been dishonest if I DIDN'T say anything. So I told her that it had happened to me, but that I still believed I could be unbiased in my decision. When she asked why I felt that way, I replied that this was a different situation with different people. She said, "So you still feel that you would be able to look at this case...without..." I finished for her: "Objectively?" She smiled and said, "Good word. Yes." The bottom line is, the lawyers and the judge need to know whether or not you can, as a juror, provide an impartial judgement on the case. And if you've had a similar experience, know anyone involved in the case, or even have a law enforcement background or history of crimes being committed against you, you probably can't serve.

Ding ding ding!

After the judge and lawyers from each side had a deliberation, we were told that the people whose names were called should stay in the room. And mine wasn't. So the rest of us went back to central jury, and after about fifteen more minutes, we were told that we were dismissed! We were done! For at least six years! YESSSSSS! And I didn't even have to lie!

The moral of the story: fucked-up family history can really come in handy. Be patient, and one day you can use it. Onstage, if you're a performer, AND to get out of jury duty.

Also, while I was waiting in central jury to be told what to do, I got a voicemail from Binder Casting. I submitted my headshot and resume a few weeks ago for the Dreamgirls tour, and guess what? I get to audition to be Effie's understudy/pit singer/swing. It's next Wednesday. I have to prepare three songs from the show ("Move", "And I Am Telling You" and "I Am Changing") and some lines from the script. I'm very familiar with the latter two songs, and the first one I know fairly well. So this should be fun. I'll be listening to nothing but those three songs until Wednesday. I also have to wear a sexy dress and do full hair and makeup. That, I can do.

I willingly had too much ice cream a little while ago--B&J's DMB (abbreviations, ahoy!) Magic Brownies, which is black raspberry and sweet cream flavors with gooey, mushy brownie pieces mixed in. SO yum. Try it if you haven't. And my lovely, supportive mama sent me $50 today, just because she loves me and wants me to, you know, eat. And I talked to her, my sister, Christopher, and Markus today on the phone--all of whom I enjoy immensely. ♥

Back to work tomorrow, and you know what? I'm thankful for that. And even though everything these days isn't necessarily going exactly the way I want, someone was obviously smiling down on me today.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment