Thursday, July 2, 2009

Leaving So Soon?

Hey kids,
I've decided to keep up this "song titles as blog titles" thing. This one is a Keane song. Keane is one of the most underrated bands out there, to me. Their songs are thoughtful, innovative and heartfelt. I just love them. And I forgot how much I love this song. Isn't it amazing when artists can perfectly capture the way you feel through song, as if they know you? This is why we all need music. When someone says "I'm just not really a music person" it makes me want to never speak to them again. How do people live without constant music in their lives?
Anyway, here's a video of the live version. Tom Chaplin is a really talented singer, yes? I mean, he really SINGS--with this really strong, soaring, unique voice.

"Leaving So Soon" by Keane
You must think I'm a fool
So prosaic and awkward and all
D'you think you've got me down?
D'you think I've never been out of this town?
Do I seem too eager to please to you now?
You don't know me at all
I can't turn it on, turn it off like you now
No, I'm not like you now

Now you're here
I bet you're wishing you could disappear
I'm trying to be kind
I get the feeling you're just killing time
You look down on me
Don't you look down on me now
You don't know me at all
A slap in the face
In the face for you now
Just might do now

You're leaving so soon
Never had a chance to bloom
But you were so quick to change your tune
Don't look back
If I'm a weight around your neck
Cause if you don't need me
I don't need you



In other news, today I had to train someone new at work. Training is kind of a bitch sometimes, because I've been at the restaurant/club for years now and am so used to doing my own thing in a fast, efficient manner. To have someone right behind me the whole time, watching what I'm doing, is not the part that bothers me--it's just tiresome to have to explain each tiny thing I'm doing. But hey, someone had to train me too. And we are not like any other restaurant out there. You can't just waltz in and start working just because you've had restaurant experience. Only the strong survive our training program--it's not for the faint of heart. Many people leave during trails because they just can't handle the intensity. So we'll see how this new guy works out. He's good with the guests and I want him to make it, but only time will tell. I'll be training a new girl on Sunday as well. Also, one of my managers told me today that since one of our trainers is leaving, I'll be training a lot more in the coming weeks. Sigh. At least I get $20 in training vouchers off each one of these newbies. I'm going to start making each of them drop and give me twenty in the middle of the shift.


I do so love "So You Think You Can Dance". I think it's something I can objectively enjoy because dancing is something I just do for fun. (See my entire last blog for explanation.) It's not something I'm ever going to be an expert at, although I plan on getting better. I've always respected dancers, not only because it's an art/form of expression, but because it is HARD if you're good at it. Singing is too, but in a different way. Sure, I have to work on my voice and keep it tuned, just like an instrument, to make it function properly. Nothing wrong with extra voice lessons. But I've been very, very lucky--it's always been effortless for me, to an extent. Singing is just what my body likes to do. I feel like dancers are constantly criticizing the TINIEST details in their own performances and hurting themselves physically and bursting into tears and all that. Dancers were always the most emotionally fragile ones at my school. It's an unforgiving profession--people tend to give singers more allowances, I think. If my voice is extra smoky one day or I feel like changing it up by backphrasing or trying out a different tempo altogether, it can still work just as well. Dancers can't really change it up too much--everything tends to be too precise. Too "choreographed", if you will.


You know what other show I love (and this is absolutely a guilty pleasure)? "16 And Pregnant" on MTV. Now, listen--MTV sucks. It sucks bigtime. We all know there are no videos on MTV and the whole purpose and spirit behind its inception has been obliterated. It's kind of like how people are always bemoaning the state of punk music, or lack thereof--MTV is not what it used to be. And yet...I have still seen every episode of "16 And Pregnant". It's a lot like "True Life", which is probably why I love it. I will watch "True Life" no matter what the topic, even if I've seen it before. Well, this show is like that, only there's just the one topic--"Surprise! I'm Still in High School and I'm Knocked Up!" The thought of having a baby right now, at age 27, terrifies me to my very soul. If I had to have one at age 16...I positively shudder at the thought. So far, on the show, it's been the trend that the pregnant girl does pretty well at growing up on the fly, taking responsibility and what have you, whereas the boy has trouble adjusting and growing up and just wants to fuck around with his friends and play Guitar Hero or whatever. I mean, it's to be expected of a 16 year-old boy, but if the girl should have to grow up, the guy should too. Takes two to tango. And accidentally make a baby.


Holy crap. While I was editing this, I found out there's a show on TLC called "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" and it's about exactly what it sounds like it's about. Amazing!


I just realized that even though I posted my first two blogs on what I considered to be the same night, one was posted on the 30th and the next was the 1st. So not only was it technically two different days, it was also two different months. Kinda cool. I'll take it as an auspicious beginning--it adds to the general kooky nature of the blog itself.


I don't much mind the summer rain we've been having. Well, I didn't mind it today, anyway. It was so schizo earlier--sunny, then pouring rain for ten minutes, then sunny again as if nothing had happened, then a monsoon, and so on. Kind of fun, really, but only because I had nothing to do outside. And I remembered my umbrella. As long as it's not cold, rain doesn't much bother me, and if I'm inside, I especially like it. It's the romantic in me, I suppose--I love falling asleep to the sound of rain. It's been legitimately hot only a handful of times so far, but I haven't yet felt that "it's so hot I want to die" feeling that is usually so common to summer in New York. And the last thing we need, as New Yorkers, is another reason to feel frustrated with our environment. ;)


Okay. Time to get going. I've got Netflix to tend to. (Can you believe I've never seen "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"?)
Probably going to a party on the 4th in Brooklyn; the Better Borough, as one of you calls it ;)


More soon. Have a lovely holiday, darlings!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment